Gamification Breakout Reflection
Yet again, the process for coming up with our breakout within our group was smooth and seamless. Upon meeting to brainstorm our breakout ideas we very quickly settled on a series of games within book genres that would make recommendations to great books within that genre... kind of like a readers advisory breakout!
The challenge for me came in deciding what game to make for my part of the breakout. At the end of our first meeting we each volunteered for a genre and style of game to create... my genre was horror and my style of game was a scavenger hunt of sorts, which is a style of game I considered somewhat open to interpretation. In the first week I created and abandoned probably about six different games... none of them seemed appropriate for the adult audience we were looking to engage or became overly complicated in making recommendations.
This journey and these complications led me to the Genially program, which had a number of quiz games and other formats. I settled on a "Guess the Horror Monster" type game, that gave clues to the monster entity in some well-known horror books and then gave recommendations when the correct guess was made.
I thought this would be a really great way to engage persons outside the library because it's an interactive form of engagement and who doesn't love a little bit of trivia! I myself have wasted hours of my life on Sporcle.com playing trivia quizzes and I thought this clue scavenger hunt would be a great way to engage folks who are interested in horror books and give them some recommendations for other books they might love.



Hi Jen! What a great idea and execution! After seeing your and Todd's projects, I definitely am encouraged to check out the Genially!
ReplyDeleteHello Jen. I think you did great on your horror genre breakout. I might not have used Genially, but it is an awesome design site for this project that gives you a lot more creative options. I certainly liked your overall design and how you made it in such a way to give people multiple different clues to figure out the answer.
ReplyDeleteJen, what a fun idea! I love that you incorporated readers advisory. Genially seems to be really good for creating some polished-looking content, I'll have to look into it more.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like such a great idea! I didn't even consider the extra level of difficulty in trying to do this project with an older audience in mind. Being in the school librarians group, it was pretty easy for me to look up ideas and examples for inspiration, but I imagine there aren't as many out there for adults. I really like your game though and will definitely be checking out that program in the future.
ReplyDelete