Promotional Flyer Reflection

As I got started on my promotional flyer process I knew I wanted to do something that was simple, yet eye-catching. After reading my feedback from my brochure, I wanted to keep things simpler for this project, with not as much writing to overwhelm the viewer. 

One of the biggest challenges in getting started was picking the right template to roll with. I spent literally multiple hours just going through Canva's wide array of promotional flyer templates, trying to find one that I could work with for this project. I was excited to try a template after I got frustrated and gave up using one during the brochure project. I finally settled on a design that I thought evoked computer science and coding in a way that would be appealing for the fictional Hour of Code event I decided to host at my local public library. I found the template slightly easier to use for a flyer as there were less elements to manipulate. My resulting design was the following:


Colorful Playful Trivia Event Flyer by Jennifer Pontrelli

I liked this design because I felt like it was eye-catching without being too overwhelming. I really liked how I could highlight important information with the orange rectangles and boxes and found it easy to duplicate and rearrange some of the boxes to fit my limited information needs. I felt the boxes and design elements also created a fair bit of contrast and it was easy to create a central focal point to draw viewers' eyes to the title of the program and then follow down the flyer for more information. These were the points from Williams' book that I most took to heart when designing this flyer. I also wanted to make sure my flyer encouraged inclusivity for this program, so I made sure to make a sub-head off of the main header to emphasize that all ages and skill levels are welcome to this program. 

Comments

  1. Hi Jen! I can relate! I spent days looking at Canva"s templates! Your flyer does everything what it supposed to! It is simple and eye catching! I like your focal point, your use of color, and repetitions of fonts and shapes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment